Thursday, April 12, 2007

Katheine the Great

Katherine, thank you for your sweet comment to my blog. I am so glad that
you are saving the old pictures in your
archives. Here is one that belongs there.
I remember this day so well! Your mother went to a nursing home on Tuesdays, I believe, and you had just
been brought home from hospital the day before. She wanted me to drive and we went to the nursing home. When we
opened the front door we could hear
the people in a big double room singing
along with Merry's friend who was there
with his guitar leading the patients in
singing. We got inside the front door and
Merry started singing loud and everyone started looking and when we walked
into that room the faces of those old people lit up like a flashlight, Merry never
missed a beat singing the song and went from old person to old person putting
this beautiful baby in every arm. You will never have any way of knowing what that did for those sweet old people. I told Merry it was magic! She said it would have been the same thing if it had been a puppy. Kate, you have never lost your
magic.
The secret is out, now your father knows that we took you out that day. I love you.

3 comments:

Kate Croft said...

I'm so honored to have a post just for me! I love that picture (where did all that black hair come from, and where did it go?). Our naughty escapade is finally out of the bag! I love you.

Family said...

I knew there was a problem when Merry was holding Kate out the car window and showing her to strangers on the ride home from the hospital! We have both been very proud of her since the minute she was born. Terrence.

Family said...

Mama, you were suppose to be my partner in crime, not a tattle tale! I had been visiting those dear seniors every week all the way through my pregnancy, and long before, they had even given me a baby shower for goodness sakes, how could I not take them my baby to hold. I remember so well that no matter how old, senile or crippled they were, each memory of holding a child came back to them. For a brief moment they were mothers again...
And you were a wonderful grandmother too! Because of you everything at home was perfect. I wept when you weren’t with me for Mike and Kim’s birth (through no fault of yours, of course.) but you made up for it when Kate was born and through out Mike and Kim’s life. Thank you!

Merr