Friday, January 29, 2010

A SONG FOR BIRDIE BOOP



Boop was a gift to Leonard, shortly after he got sick and was confined to his chair much of the day. Merry thought the bird would keep Dad company and perhaps he could teach him to talk.

This was just after Betty went to Heaven and I wanted to name him a name that would remind us of her. Her pet name at her office was Betty Boop. One day as I was cleaning his cage when he flew out scaring me badly. I said, "You little old Birdie Boop". That was his name from then on. Can you imagine some business on the Internet asking, "What is your pets name?"---------Boop.

Well, Boop did entertain; he would fly to Leonard's tray when I took him his meals. Leonard allowed him to sit there and he would pushed things he could have to eat to the edge, but he was not allowed to put his feet on his plate! Boop sang cheerfully as they spent long days together on the sunny back porch. He was a good companion and it was sad when he was found dead in his cage early this year.

I prepared a little box and made him a nice casket but was not able to dig a grave for him. I put the box in the freezer and it stayed there until this week when Merry was here, and she provided a decent funeral and burial...as only Merry would. ;)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Family said...

I sang, His Eyes Are On The Sparrow and spoke to God about teaching us to love a little more through the gift of small animals and birds. (I hope no one was watching!) Boop was over 7 years old; my bird is perhaps twice that age…that’s a lot of years of bird songs.

Merry

juju said...

Birdie Boop, was a great gift for Mom and Dad. I can see her now going to check out Dad's plate. Dad had a countenance that made everyone feel safe. I have notice Gaege, whistlling in an easy going manner. He says, it is like Papa with no legs.

Queenie said...

I believe she sang "His eyes is on
the sparrow" out there and also
thanked God for the gift of the song bird.
Yes, certainly, Merry gave Boop a
proper funeral.Her whole world has
been imagination and make believe.
Why not have your own private funeral? She believes in Fairy's and will probably one day have her
Fairy Storys published.