Wednesday, February 6, 2008

When the Coffee Perks...


Last Wednesday night my sister-in-law, Geraldine, called and asked me and my guest to dinner. Merry was spending a few days with me and we were just delighted to visit Geraldine in her home in LaVergne.

One of the first things that we observed in the kitchen, heavenly scented with home cooking, was her old fashioned coffee pot, perking on the stove. We knew, then, that we were in the friendly atmosphere of family.

Freshly perked coffee, from a stove top pot, runs deep in the veins of the Patton family. A shiny chrome pot sits waiting to be used by Natali and Hugh, Judy and Louis, and Merry and Terrence, as well as Betty when she was with us. Many good conversations have been had over a steaming cup of java that was perked to perfection. After years of drinking the dark golden brew, it stands to reason that we like our coffee very hot and fresh (and me, full to the brim)!



1) Geraldine's pot...Merry's pot...and of course my pot!

Yes, when the coffee is perking, you know something good is about to happen. Life slows down, people sit and visit for a while...or maybe even when you are alone, a morning paper is waiting to be read. There are lots of fancy coffee pots out there today, but I wouldn't take anything for that old stove top percolator, and I know a few others who feel the same way.
Thank you Geraldine, for the visit, the wonderful dinner, and for the cup of hot coffee with warm conversation.

3 comments:

Family said...

Great dinner, great conversation, great family and my pot awaits anyone who will come and share a cup with me. Some things don't need to be improved upon...the old faithful percolator is one of them.

Merry

P.S. Aunt Geraldine, I expect to see you in the mountains this summer!

juju said...

Another wonderful blog. My pots in, too!

Kate Croft said...

Right now I make "lazy coffee" with my little two-cup French press, but I'm sure I'll grow into a percolator eventually. The problem is that I don't need to be drinking a whole big pot of coffee every day, or I'm a jittery mess! Maybe I need a tiny percolator...