Saturday, December 12, 2009

A Season of Joy

For years my Atlanta grandchildren pack up their children and make their annual pilgrimage to Mufreesboro, the day after Thanksgiving, to help jump start my Christmas Season. How can one help rejoicing when such an event occurs. They go down to the basement, haul up the enormous 12 foot tree, boxes upon boxes of ornaments and mantle decoration then joyously began to work. Mike, Mary, their children Joe and Isabelle, Kim, Tom and their children, Andrew, Emily and William, work tirelessly to give me back a glimpse of Christmas past.

We work until hungry and then we're off to share a meal together. What a joy, what a pleasure...my first gift of Christmas each year. How can I not carry on when given this kind of love. Love that is filled with replacements; when something happens and some can't make it, others fill in. I am blessed. I am blessed. I am blessed with the greatest gift of all...LOVE!

When the children are gone, it is once again very quiet, and I am alone with the familiar sights of Christmas at 600 N. Church. I feel comfort, gratitude for years gone by and grateful that I will again celebrate the birth of my Savior with those whom I love.

Now it's my turn! I will enjoy the wrapping and the
memories and the promise of Christmas!
Thank you to all who make this such a special time. I am looking forward to, once again, having the house filled with those I love. Merry, Merry Christmas!





Gwen

2 comments:

juju said...

Mom. I love this blog. It is filled with love from start to finish. What a gift that has been consistantly given to you. What a beautiful tree.

Family said...

I'm teaching the kids that when you serve others, you usually get the blessing for it...probably more than the one you serve. It humbles me to see my children playing in the same places I played as a child. It blesses me to be able to love on my grandmother in this way. And it brings me to my knees for my children--praying they will not miss the blessing of serving others.
I love you sweet grandmother. You've shown us all what this season is about and I am grateful to be able to share it in return......Kim