Friday, May 1, 2009

My Mother's Garden

~Betty Lynn Patton Willard ~

(5/2/46 -10/30/02)


My Mother kept a garden,
A garden of the heart,
She planted all the good things
That gave my life its start.

She turned me to the sunshine
And encouraged me to dream,
Fostering and nurturing
The seeds of self-esteem…
Her constant good example
Always taught me right from wrong-
Markers for my pathway
That will last a lifetime long.

I am my Mother’s garden.
I am her legacy-
And I hope today she feels the love
Reflected back from me.

Everyone has a garden, a garden of their own. Each garden reflects the true heart of that person, a glimpse into their very soul. This year instead of recollecting memories, I am choosing instead to bring my Mother’s garden out for all to see… a garden that was watered with among other things, beanie babies, sports, antiques, NASCAR, and nature. Our Mother’s Garden….. Her children:









November 13, 1963 Ken came in loud and proud. Even today he makes sure that everyone knows he was first and was the apple of his mother’s eye. He was watered with baseball, basketball, the love of ‘fixing things’ and of nature. Ken, with his wonderful wife Anna have started their own garden. Casey Patton Willard. If Ken was the apple of his mother’s eye, it is safe to say that Casey was the cherry that was on the topping.










June 18, 1969 Leigh, yes that’s me.. Arrived, I feel bold and ready. I can say I was watered with the love of children and family, and a readiness that keeps me prepared for anything that could come my way. I was able to bless my Mother with 3 boys, Thomas Green, Jacob Faulkner, and Mickenna Lee. Each were special to their Nanny in their own way, each bringing pride in her voice every time she spoke of them. Today, I am able to bring to my Mother a new section for her garden; a wonderful husband Mike and the addition of two more grandchildren, Autumn Michelle and Michael Todd. Both of whom she would love and appreciate as if they were her own.


April 25, 1977, Jason…Mr. Adventure. I can never remember a time that Jason didn’t have a plan for one thing or another. He was watered with the love of sports and the sense of love. Jason blessed our Mother, with his son, Jaylen Xavier. Jaylen was our Mother’s last grandchild to hold, the last grandchild to steal a piece of her heart. She held him near and dear to her heart. Our Mother would be so very proud to see what a wonderful Father Jason has become.












September 29, 1978, Matthew Owen Patton… Who would ever believe that Matthew would today be the big ex-Air Force body-builder that he is. Matthew was the cutest baby with the biggest personality anyone could ever find. Matthew was watered with self-esteem, and the gift of humor. Matthew blessed our Mother with memories and pride like no other.





August 31, 1986, Joseph….Joseph came in a quiet way, the child that very sweetly walked beside you holding your hand. He would smile at you and your heart would melt. Joseph brought our Mother youth, one of the most impressive gifts of all.


Last but not least, at the center of her garden was our father, Aubrey. My Father brought our Mother strength, security, love beyond reason, and friendship. His love for her has to this day been strong and has never wavered. My Mother called him “The Wind Beneath Her Wings”. It has taken me many years to truly understand her meaning of this. Today, I am proud to say that the two of them are my parents.














My Garden Keepers


My Mother, Betty Lynn,
And my Father, Aubrey Kenneth.


Happy Birthday to My Mother, from the many petals of her garden.

Love, Ken, Anna, Leigh, Jason, Matthew, and Joseph
And her grandchildren, Thomas, Casey, Jacob, Mickenna, and Jaylen~









Written by Leigh, with love.


9 comments:

Queenie said...

aim.comDarling Leigh, you are your mothers daughter! That ain't bad!
How precious the blog for Betty Lynn. I am impressed with your
ability. I may have to hire your
assistance. Your mother would be
so proud of the things you are doing for your family and today this splendid tribute to your
Mother, who certainly adored her
family.
Nana

juju said...

Leigh, This blog sums up so well the love that Betty had for her family. She always was there for the good and bad times for each of you. She was the best advocate any child could have. This tender reminder of her life makes me love and miss her more. There is so much of your mother in you. She would be so proud of your family, as we all are. I am so thankful to be able to still see Betty through you. I celebrate her life today.

Leigh said...

I don't think I could do this too often. This took alot out of me to do. These are the things I remember about my Mother. I remember the ballparks, going to the lake, shopping, and always, always a houseful of loud children. Seems my life has not changed much. :) I have read this blog more times than I can count over the past month, yet today when it was published for everyone else to read, I was yet again brought to tears. Nana, thank you for giving me a wonderful Mother. Thank you Nana, Merry, Judy, and Hugh for helping to mold her to be the person she was during her time with us. Happy Birthday Mom!

Leigh said...

Oh yea, Nana thank you for letting me put this together, and Merry for uploading it for me. I could not think of a better thing to do to celebrate today.

Queenie said...

I read it earlier today. I tried to leave a comment, but I guess I have forgotten my pasword. It is such a precious tribute to
Betty from Leigh. Please tell her that, and you remember how much we love Betty and miss her. She was truly a wonderful mother.
I love you.

Paulette/gp

Family said...

To my dear niece,

It is obvious that your mother taught you to love unconditionally and to grow a garden that blooms accordingly. Thank you for sharing your heart. Well done.

Aunt Merry

juju said...

Leigh,
What a beautiful tribute to your mom. I thought of her a lot yesterday and all she meant to me. I miss her so much. Thank you for sharing your heart and for your strength!
Love you,
Abby

Family said...

Leigh, mom told me I would cry when I read this tribute. I did! What a wonderful tribute. I couldn't help but recognize the blessing of having my mother present and couldn't help but wonder if my tribute to her couldn't be more celebrated while I still have the chance.....thank you for leading us in this journey of closure with death. I know you wouldn't have volunteered it, but you are doing it with grace and love! I love you.
Kim

Queenie said...

goodnight little drummer!
Mother