Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Christmas in July and Edsel Honored....






A family tradition; song, food and fellowship!

By now you have all gotten an email from Paulette telling about her and Nicholle's annual Christmas in July celebration for the Floyd family, on July 21st.



The following day, Sunday, the 22nd at 2:00, the state Legislature will unveil the "Edsel Cordell Floyd Bridge", on the Watertown bypass, honoring the Watertown Icon.

I know that some of you can't be there for both events, but perhaps you can be there for one or the other of these special events.

In the above picture you see Ed with Representative Stratton Bone, and the Speaker during the session where Ed was told about the bridge being named after him. This Speaker asked Edsel if he was surprised at being given this honor (mind you these lawmakers had been warned of Edsel's perfectly available sense of humor!). Edsel replied, "Well, yes and no, I was honored but not surprised." When asked why, he said, "Rep. Bone told me last fall that if I made a generous donation to his campaign he would see that there was a bridge named after me...I was thinking like the bridge spanning the Cumberland River and I made the donation. Then he was asked how much did he donate and Ed replied, "half dollar."

Gotta love this man!

In the other picture you see some of Edsel's siblings and his son trying not to show embarrassment by what might come out next and at the same time popping buttons that his sweet man was being given such a high honor.
Love you, "Tiny Turned up nose." Mother and Dad will be watching!

3 comments:

Family said...

Yeah Christmas!
Yeah Uncle Ed!!

I am so lucky to be from a wonderful family such as this.

Merry

juju said...

We are so proud of you, Uncle Edsel! I have always love you and Margie. See you a big day. Love, Judy and Louis

Queenie said...

That tiny turned up nose, And
cheeks just like a rose, He's
sweet from head to toes, that
little boy of mine.
He climbs upon my knee
and says goodnight to me.
He's sweet as he can be
That little boy of mine.
No one will ever know, just what
his coming has meant, because I
love him so, he's something
heaven has sent.
He's all the world to me
He's sweet as he can be
To me he will always be
That little boy of mine.

Mother sang to Edsel when he was
a baby.