Thursday, May 3, 2012



May 3…for My Mama

May 3, you have come – the day I always sing

“Happy Birthday, Dear Mama” – the familiar tune, it must ring!

Can you hear my voice as I sing the words to you?

You’ve gone on before me, but our love is so true.

“Happy Birthday, Dear Mama”, a party, a cake…

This year so very different, no sweet pastry to bake.

You are loved, you are missed, you are needed right here.

What a party, not so long ago, has it really been a year?!

Son named John, daughter Susan, Jahnna with dark eyes and hair,

Of course, Dani and also Angie…at so many parties we were there!

Much love from Mike, later Jeanette, and the boys who married your girls,

Late came Ellie, a great grandchild, little blond one, fresh made curls!

“Tista Dendedon”, Brother Ken, and then Baby Girl Polly,

We remember, we do love you, and we know that by golly…

You celebrate your own birthday in the presence of THE KING!

There a brother, there a daddy, there a mother, they will sing!

“Happy Birthday, Dear Mama”, the song I sing out loud!

To be your little girl, even grown now, forever I am proud!

And proud of you, my Mama, of our hearts whose link will break never

Cross our fingers; weave them together; I love you always, forever and ever!

by: Susan Headrick



3 comments:

Queenie said...

What a wonderful tribute to your
Mother, SuSu. All those things still so fresh in our minds and will be forever. I have come to realize what an awesome sister she was. I am so thankful that we had 84 years together. So thankful for her family - - she would be so proud of you and the others for dealing with her last journey and
for all the happy thoughts of her.

juju said...

Susan, This brought me to tears. What can I say, but you have Ma's gift ! I loved your Mother and miss her!

Family said...

Best Aunt, EVER! I also love and miss her. May 3rd is a happy day indeed.

Merry